Comment:
Hello, I have been reading your blog and just wanted to share my story with you.  I am in the UK, and I have been floxed twice by an antibiotic. Not by Levaquin, or Cipro, or Floxin….but by a supposed safe and not such a ‘big gun’ of an antibiotic….Amoxicillin.  I had it in too high a dose, and mixed with another drug Metronidazole, and I believe this acts in exactly the same way as a quinolone.

I am suffering from my second case of acute progressive Central Nervous System Toxicity caused by what I now know to be either:

I have never had this diagnosis confirmed by any doctor, cardiologist  or neurologist, and have come to this conclusion from searching the internet for information.    I appreciate that patients who self diagnose from the internet or other resourses can be a problem for the medical profession; but in this case,  (as other floxed people know,)  I genuinely know  I have discovered what happened to cause my illness.

No GP will listen to me,  simply because it seems they firmly believe that a ‘simple’ antibiotic cannot cause these long lasting arrythmias, insomnia,  parasthesias, neuropathies, altered brain chemistry,  and all the other severe mental and health problems that I have experienced.  Perhaps I am just someone who is a ‘poor metabolizer’…i.e,  my liver cannot break down the drug properly so it builds up into toxic concentrations.  Perhaps my alcohol consumption in the past has something do do with this.   Perhaps this drug was prescibed by my dentist without taking taking into account the prior ingestion of antibiotics and its cumulative effects on me.  Whatever the reason, I know my own body, and  know I have been poisioned.  Antibotics ‘kill life’…that is what the word means.   They kill organisms, and the human body is just one huge organism.

In June 2000 I was on a long course of Amoxicillin after dental treatment.  Approximately three weeks after finishing the course I presented at my GP  with numbness and tingling in the hands,  forearms and backs of shoulders.   I had tingling skin  – a creeping feeling on the skin like the start of flu -  muscle twitching, extreme muscle weakness, sudden parathesias, numb hands upon waking, insomnia, gastrointestinal disturbance,  ‘waves’ of weird electrical shocks through my body,  chest/sternum pain,  myclonic jerking, and head ‘explosions’,  severe panic attacks and palpitations.  I was told these were all symptoms of anxiety given Zisprin (an anti anxiety drug)   Over the next four months I repeately asked that my chest pain and heart symptoms be taken seriously but my heart was never listened to, nor was I given an ECG.   After a few weeks I began having what I presume to be mild seizures (awareness of eyes being drawn upward in head and biting tongue but being unble to
 control it) and psychotic episodes (chemical imbalance in brain causing a series of crippling ‘panic’ attacks and feelings of impending doom and death lasting two hours each.)

Finally in August 2000 after severe palpitations and chest pain I was admitted to the Coronary Care Unit where I was told I had had a recent heart attack.  I was also told that I had an abnormal ECG, and there had been a major and unexplained electrical disturbance in my heart causing cardiac arrythmia and prolongation of the QT wave.  I was told I may need a pacemaker and given Propranolol.  After one week of treatment I was sent home.  I was also diagnosed with a bruit, and a heart murmer and told to take an anitibiotic prophylactic before any any invasive or deep dental procedure in the future.   I had various tests including echocardiogram and regular holter monitor testing.  In October 2000 my symptoms subsidsed and I gradually stopped taking the propranolol. Life got back to normal.

Starting in June 2009 I had at least three very long courses of 500mg Amoxicillin for dental abcess, followed by another long course of Metronidazole (Flagyl) after three dental implants, and three seperate occasions of 3mg Amoxil as prophylactic before hygienist visit for deep cleaning.    Little did I know that I was taking poision.  Approximately two weeks after cessation of these antibiotics  I began having the exact symptoms  as in 2000.  I then made the definite connection between my symptoms and  both long courses of strong antibiotic nine years apart.

I researched the internet, and discovered that strong courses of antibiotics (quinolones) can cause exactly the progressive symptoms I was having.  Although I has not ingested a quinolone, I had been on an extremely strong course of Amoxicillin and Metronidazole.

It is my understanding that strong antibiotics can cause a toxic affect on the acytlcholine synapse causing nerve damage and exitable cardiac nerve damage.

If my heart goes wonky again I doubt I will make it this time.  The worst thing of all is the fact that this poison causes progressive problems.  I’ve had the numbness and tingling, the weakness and the gastro intestinal problems.  Next month I will start the insomnia and phycoses.  Then…the cardiac arrythmia will start.

And the doctor looks at me like I am nuts.  I feel like I am in a living nightmare.

77 Responses to “Amoxicillin and Metronidazole Toxicity. Lady from England suffering extensive central nervous system damage.”

1. vasculitis says:

I had these rashes. I was very disappointed. Then I had bottle guard juice one day. It got cured that moment!!! I dont know if this is a remedy for all. But it worked for me. May God Bless you All with Good health.

2. Laser says:

Hi I am about to embark on a course of Amoxicilllin & Metronidazole antibiotics prescribed from my dentist: thank you for the warnings.
    BW

3. Sarah P says:

I rather suspect it was the Metronidazole, see article

4. Yas says:

I had the same thing happen to me with metronidazole and amoxicillin. When I told the doctor about the CNS side effects they just labeled me an anxiety sufferer and gave me xanax which I refused to take. It got to the point where I would jump out of bed with panic attacks out of nowhere even though I never suffered from anxiety. Then the burning sensation would begin followed by the pins and needles fear palpitations and inability to fall asleep. The effects lasted an entire month and I get episodes like that every now and then but a lot less frequent (its been 6 weeks). I just wish some doctors would have common sense. If all other diseases you tested me for came back negative can you please see that your mistake in over prescribing me antibiotics (I was treated with those at least 3 times in a year for h pylori by same doctor) caused CNS toxicity!

5. Milo Serret says:

The rashes from lyme disease is easily recognizable. Always seek treatment from the doctor as soon as you are infected with lyme disease. *

Our web site

6. Jessica says:

I can understand your pain.. I was mistreated very BADLY! I was put on 11 antibotics back to back by a DUMB doctor, i kept getting sicker and sicker. I am still suffering. 2 of them were levquin 750mg 10 pills took 9. than cipro 500mg 2ce day for 10 days. and about 4 of them was Amoxcillin. I am praying that i can recovery from all this. I am suffering very harsh side effects for a long long time. i am 24 with 3 kids. please excuse the typing

7. Marz says:

I took Flagyl in August 2012. Two doses and I broke out in hives plus the shooting pains throughout my head and body. All the symtoms went away quickly except the headache. I’ve had this headache EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR FIVE MONTHS. The shooting pain across my head and face almost causes me to fall to my knees. I’ve seen multiple doctors and will continue to do so until someone listens to me or sends me to the cracker box.

8. Ann Obi says:

My 5 year old daughter was prescribed with Amoxicillin, Metronidazole and Omeprazole after being diagnosed with hyplory some stomach bacteria. She was on the treatment for 7 days. She has not been the same. She started hallucinating, not sleeping at night, anxiety, depression symptoms’, name it. She has been behaving like someone with mental illness. Loss of concentration. She was referred to A&E paediatrics and most of the doctors had no clue what was wrong. Only one consultant agreed to the effect of the drugs. It has been 3 weeks and there is improvement.

9. Matthew Shafik says:

I too am suffering even after I stop the flagyl. I have numbness, tingling, and brain fog. The tingling and numbness is going through my left arm and left leg. It’s depressing that all of us our stuck with no answers, I’m about to try vitamin b to see if that helps. I drink tons of water because I’m sure all of this has something to do with toxicity. Please keep post coming, I’m glad I’m not alone but I pray for all of you, oh and 2 weeks prior to flagyl I was prescribed amoxicillin.

10. Jav says:

I was prescribed oxacillin and metronidazole in April 2011 by a hospital doctor for an infected wasp bite. The antibiotic was really effective and the redness and swelling started to subside just after the first dose. After 3 days, I started to feel a numbness on my left jaw. I started getting strange thoughts and panic.I went back to the hospital and told the doc about this. He told me to keep taking the antibiotic. I took it for the remaining two days. At the fifth day, I was getting horrible nightmares, I would woke up unable to breath and would suffer panic attacks. My heart also was beating very fast and sometimes irregularly. I was getting fasciculations and unvoluntarily leg and arm movements. Moreover, I was now hearing a high pitched sound and feeling a bit dizzy.My vision was somewhat blurry in the right eye. I went to a private doc who immediately pointed to metronidazole side effects. He prescribed B complex vitamins which has helped a lot. I have also taken magnesium which has helped for the fasculations and heart beat. Lastly, I always have faith in God and this has helped most. 2 years now, I am mostly ok except for the ringing in the ear and slight occasional dizziness.The blurry vision was infact due to serous retinopathy due to extreme stress. It has resolved on its own.

11. Floyd Brewer says:

Those are symptoms of Lyme disease and coinfections go to a LLMD asap.

12. Laura says:

I took a course of these antibiotics a month ago and am still suffering from the effects. Brain fog and constant anxiety are the worst! No doctor will listen they keep telling me it’s just anxiety. Which I have no family history of and no reason to have and it came out of nowhere so I’m not convinced. Did anyone recover totally?? I feel just as bad as I did a month ago :(

13. One day, when we had arrived playing Pictionary with our grown children, I was afforded the honor of being my spouse’s
    partner. If getting antispam software sounds overwhelming, studying regarding
    the subject could help. Rkill may be found at: Once downloaded and run,
    rkill stops any background processes which might be suspicious for the
    amount of about 5-10 minutes determined by what form of process it really is.

14. Baswell says:

The remarkable answer :) Orthomol Vitamine b

15. Ivan says:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for besi

16. read this says:

Hi, every time i used to check blog posts here early in the morning, for the reason that i love to find out
    more and more.

17. lagi dahsyatnya internet maka persatu baik otomatis diketik mudah namun dan anda kwalitas website sampai untuk profesional
    Dan

18. I do not even know how I finished up right here, but I thought this post was great.
    I don’t recognize who you are but certainly you are going to a famous
    blogger if you aren’t already. Cheers!

19. buy ambien overnight ship…

Amoxicillin and Metronidazole Toxicity. Lady from England suffering extensive central nervous system damage. | "Levaquin Hurts" Brain/Body Toxic Drug…

20. Francois says:

If you recovered fast in 2000 after stopping antibiotics it might not be direct damage to central nervous system since this would be permanent or take very long to recover. Probably the antibiotics are not the primary cause also. Maybe a chronic infection such as spirochete (Lyme) or virus is the primary cause.

21. mamac.jpn.ph says:

Great beat ! I wissh to appentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for
    a blog site? The account aideed me a acceptable deal. I hadd
    been a little biit acquainted of this yiur broadcast provided bright clear idea

22. Antibiotic says:

Can I just say what a relief to discover a person that really understands what they are discussing on the
    net. You certainly realize how to bring a problem to
    light and make it important. More people have to check this out
    and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you’re not more popular because you most certainly possess the gift.

23. nmd says:

I’m commenting to make you be aware of of the wonderful encounter our child had using your blog. She figured out a good number of things, which include how it is like to have a marvelous giving nature to make many others just learn specified complicated things. You undoubtedly did more than visitors’ expected results. I appreciate you for rendering these great, trusted, explanatory not to mention fun tips on this topic to Tanya.

24. Then strive logging out of Facebook on Eventbrite again.

25. This is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise information… Thank you for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

26. Beverley says:

I’m so sad as I took metrananzadole for a tooth problem and have never been well since! Doctors do not accept this! It’s ruined my life ! My dentist took my Mercury filling out without protection and all this has changed my life !

27. website says:

It’s difficult to find experienced people on this topic, but you seem like
    you know what you’re talking about! Thanks