Very sad Levaquin story.

To begin with, I have several chronic diseases already.  I was diagnosed with COPD in 1992.  At that time I was prescribed Serevent and as a result I developed life threatening asthma. I took myself off Serevent five years ago.  Then as a result of being treated for heartburn with Propulsid and taking diflucan, I ended up in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit in 1997and I’ve taken digitalis ever since. I was taking Digitek too when it was recalled.

As you can see, I am already the poster child for bad medicine.  Prescription drugs have done more harm to me than good.  Nevertheless, I have never been part of a lawsuit.  I don’t think it accomplishes much.  Until now.  Because if my history with bad medicine, now I always question medications.  I report side effects. I complained about Levaquin starting in 2001.   Yet time and time again I was given this drug in spite of my complaints.  I began to believe that because I am already disabled my life isn’t considered valuable.  But I feel I’ve been a guinea pig.  I feel that what life I had – and held on to with both hands – was severely diminished by the drug Levaquin. 

In about April of 2001 I was treated at the Emergency room for respiratory infection and prescribed Levaquin.  I believe that is the first time it was prescribed for me.  Shortly after that I began complaining about not being able to walk.  I had multiple x rays taken of my feet and back.  I said that it felt like my feet were not attached to my legs.  I was told that there was nothing wrong. 

There were several more visits to the emergency room and on hospital stay in October of 2002 where I was again treated with Levaquin.  I think this is the hospital stay where the nurses noticed that one of the tendons in my thigh was “atrophied.” I was admitted with pneumonia and left in a wheelchair.  I have been in a wheelchair ever since.  There was one more hospital stay in March of 2004.  After this, I was basically an invalid.  I spent two years lying on the sofa. The doctors prescribed morphine and suggested hospice. 

In May of 2006 I was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia.  I was hospitalized for 18 days.  That was my last hospitalization. When I came home I had physical therapy.  I also had a friend who was leaning massage therapy.  She was concerned with the lack of muscle in my limbs.  She made it her mission to help me learn to stand alone.  In time and with her help I started leaning to walk unassisted again.  I also started doing tai chi from a chair to strengthen my muscles.  I now avoid doctors and have systematically taken myself off several medications. 

Levaquin took what little life I had from me.

Be Sociable, Share!
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 Responses to “Very sad Levaquin story.”

  1. Fey says:

    I am very sorry to hear of your sad story.
    (Mine’s just as sad, but that doesn’t make me less sorry about yours.)
    I can only offer my sincere condolences.

  2. Theresa says:

    Dag nabbit good stuff you whippresneapprs!

Leave a Reply

Design by Aaron Melvin